This section introduces Korean dishes that are either traditionally vegan / vegetarian by default or are available in veggie-friendly versions. Behind each link, you will find more information about the dish, how to best enjoy it, where to find it and how to order it in Korean according to your needs!
This overview on Korean food is subdivided into main dishes, side dishes, sweets, snacks and anju.
➡️ If you click on the link of a listed food item, you will be redirected to a new page with more information about it! ⬅️
For easy reference, each item is marked with symbols indicating potentially critical ingredients. While some dishes are vegan or vegetarian by default, others will need to be ⚠️customized⚠️.
- 🌱 – vegan basis
- 🥛 – dairy
- 🥚 – egg
- 🍯 – honey
- 🚫🌾 – gluten free
- ⚠️ – double-check or customize!
🌱 Even if the basic recipe may not be vegan,
it may be possible to veganize it or find vegan versions! 🌱
List of vegan and vegetarian Korean food
🍚 Main dishes 🍜
- 🌱/🥚/⚠️ Bibimbap 비빔밥: Rice with toppings and sauce. Toppings may include meat🐄. Occasionally, sauce contains meat🐄. 🚫🌾
- 🌱/🥚 Kong-guksu 콩국수: Wheat noodles in chilled soy bean broth and occasionally egg topping.
- 🌱 Pat-kalguksu 팥칼국수: Wheat noodles in red bean soup.
- 🌱/🥚/⚠️ Japchae 잡채: Glass noodles with stir-fried vegetables, mushrooms and egg – occasionally fish🐟 and meat🐄.
- 🌱/🥚 Jjolmyeon 쫄면: Cold, chewy wheat noodles with toppings and spicy sauce.
- 🌱/🥚/⚠️ Bibim-myeon 비빔면: Cold wheat noodles mixed with spicy sauce and toppings. Toppings or sauce may contain animal products🐟.
- 🌱/🥚/⚠️ Mak-guksu 막국수: Buckwheat noodles in cold broth. Soup may be based on animal products🐓.
- 🌱/⚠️ Deulkkae-sujebi 들깨수제비: Hand-made noodles in soup with perilla seeds. Soup may be based on animal products🐟🦐.
- Savory pancakes 부침개
- Porridges / congee 죽
🥗 Side dishes (banchan 반찬) 🍆
- ⚠️ Kimchi 김치: Fermented vegetables. Often seasoned with animal products🐟🦐. 🚫🌾
- 🌱 Dongchimi 동치미: Radish Kimchi in clear brine. 🚫🌾
🍡 Sweet treats / dessert (husik 후식) 🍧
- 🌱/🥚 Tteok 떡: Korean rice cakes.
- 🌱 Injeolmi 인절미: Glutinous Tteok coated in bean flour. 🚫🌾
- 🌱 Songpyeon 송편: Tteok with filling, originally steamed on pine needles. 🚫🌾
- 🌱/⚠️ Chapssal-tteok 찹쌀떡 / Mojji 모찌: Glutinous Tteok with filling and powdery coating. Sometimes the coating consists of spongecake.🥚 🚫🌾
- 🌱 Baekseolgi 백설기: Spongy Tteok without filling 🚫🌾
- 🌱 Mosi-tteok 모시떡: Tteok flavored with ramie leaves. 🚫🌾
- 🌱 Gamja-tteok 감자떡: Potato-based Tteok. 🚫🌾
- 🥛 Jjinppang 찐빵: Steamed buns filled with sweet red bean paste.
- 🌱 Gangjeong 강정: Crunchy bars of caramelized nuts and seeds.
- 🌱 Yugwa 유과: Deep-fried rice crackers coated in rice puffs.
- 🍯 Yakgwa 약과: Deep-fried confectionery, normally soaked in honey.
- 🍯 Dasik 다식: Confectionery from e.g. nuts mixed with honey. 🚫🌾
- 🍯 Dan-Patjuk 단팥죽: Sweet red bean porridge. 🚫🌾
- 🥛/🥚 Bingsu 빙수: Shaved ice with sweet toppings.
🌽 Snacks (gansik 간식) / street food 🥡
- 🌱/🥚/⚠️ Kimbap 김밥: Rice, vegetables and egg -normally also ham🐖 and fishcake🐟- wrapped in sea laver. 🚫🌾 (⚠️우엉 marinated in soy sauce?)
- 🌱 Mayak-kimbap 마약김밥: Small wraps of rice and vegetables, served with a dipping sauce. 🚫🌾
- 🌱 Yakbap 약밥 / Yaksik 약식: Sticky rice mixed with seasonings, beans and nuts.
- 🌱/🥛 Jjinppang 찐빵: Steamed buns filled with sweet red bean paste.
- 🌱 Dalgona 달고나: Crunchy honeycomb toffee candy. 🚫🌾
- 🌱 Garae-tteok gu-i 가래떡구이: Roasted plain rice cakes. 🚫🌾
- 🌱 Tteok ppeong-twigi 떡뻥튀기: Puffed plain rice cakes. 🚫🌾
- 🌱 Corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes, chestnuts (steamed, roasted or boiled) 🚫🌾
🍻 Anju 안주 🍶
- 🥚/🥛/⚠️ Gyeran-mari 계란말이: Rolled omelette with various toppings and fillings – occasionally fish roe🐟 or pieces of ham🐖. 🚫🌾
- 🌱 Dubu-buchim 두부부침: Pan-fried slices of tofu. 🚫🌾
- 🌱 Dotori-muk muchim 도토리묵무침: Acorn jelly salad.
- Savory pancakes 부침개
- 🌱/⚠️ Bindae-tteok 빈대떡: Pancakes made from mung beans. Fish🐟 or meat🐖 may be added. 🚫🌾
- 🌱/🥛 Hwachae 화채: sweet non-alcoholic drink with chunks of fruit (aka “fruit punch”), occasionally made with milk or soda.
✍️ This list is not complete and will be expanded gradually.
Suggestions are welcome!✍️
Feel free to comment below or send me a message! 🤗