Food is big in Korea.
Food looks beautiful in Korea.
Foodies will love eating in Korea.
But it can be difficult to follow a vegan or vegetarian diet in Korea.
After years of living in Korea, I’ve decided to share some of my experience, hoping it will provide an orientation for people in a similar situation. The world of food is complex, it is exciting, full of new impressions, scents, visuals, textures and flavors. However, it can be confusing and frustrating, if you cannot read the labels or do not speak enough Korean to communicate your dietary preferences.
Although South Korean society seems to be changing rapidly in various areas, people with certain dietary lifestyles (such as veganism, vegetarianism, raw food, pescetarianism, halal, kosher etc.) are still rare.
Thus, let me offer you some ideas. With the upcoming posts, I aim to introduce you to the basics of Korean food, make practical suggestions for a satisfying food hunt and introduce you to veggie-friendly locations for dining out.
My posts will be launched on Instagram first, where they are primarily pictures! (Because… who doesn’t like #foodporn? 😆) However, you will find longer descriptions and more details about the respective topic in this blog.
- chaesik ju-eui-ja 채식주의자 – vegetarian 🥕
- wanjeon chaesik ju-eui-ja / bigeon 완전채식주위가 / 비건 – vegan 🥕🥦
- gogi 고기 – meat🥩
- saengseon 생선 生鮮 – fish🐟
- haesanmul 해산물 海産物 – seafood🦐
- yujepum 유제품 乳製品 – dairy🥛🧀
- gyeran 계란 – egg🥚🍳
- ggul 꿀 – honey🐝🍯
- Chaesik ju-eui-ja yeyo. 채식주의자예요. I am a vegetarian. 🥕
- Chaesik haeyo. 채식해요. I eat vegetarian food. 🥕
- Jeoneun gogi, saengseon ina haesanmul mot meogeoyo. 저는 고기, 생선이나 해산물 못먹어요. I cannot eat meat, fish or seafood. 🚫🥩🐟🦐
- Jeoneun yujepum, gyeran ina ggul mot meogeoyo. 저는 유제품, 계란이나 꿀 못먹어요. I cannot eat dairy, egg or honey. 🚫🥛🧀🥚🍳🐝🍯
and… very important for Korean food culture:
- Jal meok-gessimnida! 잘 먹겠습니다. I will eat well. (said BEFORE the beginning of the meal. Similar to the French “Bon appetit” or German “Guten Appetit”.)
- Jal meo-geossimnida! 잘 먹었습니다. I have eaten well. (said AFTER the meal.)
And after all, I’d like to end this post with the following statement:
Please, enjoy your food! 😊❤
Masikke deuseyo~ 맛있게 드세요 ~